In the event Hurricane Irma is threatening you, these are the things you should be doing to protect yourself during the storm.
#1 – Fill your vehicles gas tank
#2 – If you haven’t already, put together a Hurricane Kit quickly. Your Hurricane Kit should include:
- Three-day supply of non-perishable food
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert
- First aid kit
- Extra batteries
- Whistle to signal for help
- Dust mask to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Manual can opener for food
- Local maps
- Cell phone with chargers and a backup battery
#3 – Get Cash, if the event of a loss of power, ATM will not be working, and neither will credit card machines.
#4 – Take all Identification and important documents, place in a plastic bag, and store in a safe easily accessible place.
#5 – Move all outdoor items into garage or other secure indoor location.
#6 – Fill Sinks, Tubs, and buckets with water to bathe and flush the toilet in the event of water pressure loss.
#7 – Unplug all electrical appliances you are not using to prevent them from being affected by electrical surge.
#8 – Get to a safe place, if you are not boarding or shuttering your own house, then go to a place that is.